Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for most can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to find out a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This article will attempt to answer some of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Need to Take away the Old Lawn. Yes, You need to take away the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will guarantee that whenever you plant the new lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to take into account the grade where your yard currently sits and also the volume of soil that you must install for the new lawn. In certain special cases where you might give a layer of brand new soil without being above grade, you may leave the current lawn set up. New lawns will demand a minimum depth of 3 inches of any well draining soil, full of nutrients. Most lawn removals could be completed with the use of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in difficult to access yards can be a hazard and could create more work than initially planned.
Soil For Your New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is extremely important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will discover significantly better growth over time in case a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the more expensive the soil, the higher quality.
The ideal lawn needs to be designed with at least 3″ of a well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at least 70% sand and the sub grade needs to be self draining. Soils which contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils which contain paper recycling waste and also a strong odor ought to be avoided also. Typically topsoil today is produced from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the items in the soil and ensure the composting process is done. A soil analysis having a neutral ph balance should be requested out of your supplier.
Kind of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf will be the preferred method of installing a brand new lawn. Sod could be installed all year round and turf farms are open to supply all year round.
The variety of grass seed or sod to utilize depends on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This can include the volume of traffic that your lawn area is subjected to, including pets and children.
2. The amount of sunlight that your particular lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% from the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures inside your climate.
Generally turf which comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry many different sod that is perfect for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are accessible for low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
How You Can Install the Sod. Installing a brand new lawn can be completed by using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls so the seams do not match on top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending a little extra time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will guarantee the grass covers all of the soil. Should you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow within the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult task if you don’t spend the time to accomplish it properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces in place using a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. You do not have to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Usually do not let the turf dry up at any point. If the sod is allowed to dry out, shrinkage may occur on the seams as well as the turf may die. Installing sod on the hot day may need frequent watering so make sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the brand new lawn once you complete laying turf. Installing a whole new lawn can be a very rewarding task and gives instant beautification for any property.